to the Luxembourg Society for Microbiology!
The microscopic world of viruses, bacteria, archaea, fungi, protozoa and other tiny living beings is extremely fascinating and diverse, and microorganisms play important roles in our daily lives.
Our skin, mouth and gut are colonized by trillions of harmless bacteria that protect us from the invasion by pathogens and help us digest our food. We process food with the help of bacteria and yeasts which underpin the production of cheese, yoghourt, sauerkraut, bread, wine and beer. No biogeochemical cycle in the world is complete without the unique metabolic capacities of microorganisms.
Furthermore our domestic wastewater is treated in sewage treatment plants, where many different microorganisms act in concert to treat the water.
Besides the vast majority of essential and benign microorganisms, some viruses, bacteria, parasites and fungi are pathogenic and can cause severe disease in animals and humans. To date, more than 1,400 different infectious microbes have been identified. Our public health system historically has been built upon the issues created by these tiny troublemakers, sometimes causing important outbreaks and pandemics worldwide.
Within the Luxembourg Society for Microbiology (LSfM), we seek to regroup all the actors dealing either directly or indirectly with microorganisms in their professional life, studies or leisure activities. The multiple missions, aims and scopes of the LSfM are as follows:
- Federate microbiology topics in Luxembourg and abroad
- Organize events, conferences, workshops and expert groups
- Promote collaboration and information exchange among its members
- Seek “best practices” and offer training activities
- Support students in the field of microbiology with a link to Luxembourg.
Please feel free to join us, have fun with our website exclusively dealing with microbiology in Luxembourg, and do not hesitate to contact us for any questions and inquiries or purposes.
Jos Even, president.
- Laboratoire National de Santé
- Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology
- Luxembourg Institute of Health
- Université du Luxembourg
- Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine
- Integrated Biobank of Luxembourg
- Ministère de l’Agriculture, de la Viticulture et du Développement rural
Administration des Services Techniques de l’Agriculture